Dear G2C Rider,
Thank you for entering G2C sponsored by BUCO.
Please read this information carefully as it contains important race information.
- Ebikes start at 08h00
- All other riders start at 08h30.
- Cut-off time is 13h00.
- No helmet, no ride.
- Follow marshals and race official instructions at all times.
- Roads are open to traffic. Road rules apply. Keep left!
- Ride safe, have fun and enjoy one of the fastest MTB races around.
- The G2C is a CSA sanctioned event and all CSA rules apply. Read the rules here.
- No drop bars.
- No gravel bikes.
REGISTRATION AND THE START
Registration times & venues
- Cyclo Pro in PE on Friday 6 November 2020 from 4-5pm
- BUCO Warehouse, 9 Strowan Road, Grahamstown on Saturday from 3.30-4.30
- BUCO Warehouse, 9 Strowan Road, Grahamstown on Sunday from 06h30-07h30
- Look for signs from the N2 (East) and Cradock Road (West).
- Go to www.grahamstown2sea.co.za/route for details.
- Coffee will be on sale before the race on Sunday.
- Late entries are available at registration however we cannot guarantee goody-bags for late entrants.
- Please collect pre-ordered T-shirts at registration in Grahamstown on Saturday or Sunday.
- Limited supply of T-shirts will be on sale at registration in Grahamstown.
- E-bikes may enter and will be timed.
- E-bikes will race in their own category.
- Top 50 seeded riders (40 men and 10 women) will go off first in their own batch. Timing begins when the group starts. Everyone else will start behind the seeded batch.
- If you are not seeded, do NOT join the seeded batch or try to squeeze in from the side!
Goody bags and medals
- These will be given out at the finish. Please check inside your goody bag for a boerewors roll and drink voucher as well as your medal.
- Most of the route (Southwell Road) is a public road – all road rules apply.
- Keep left PARTICULARLY ON WOEST HILL (the tarred pass outside Grahamstown).
- No supporters driving on the course whatsoever – use the tar road (R67) to Port Alfred.
- Look out for milk trucks – drivers have been warned.
WOEST HILL – ENTERING THE PASS
- A SHARP RIGHT TURN after the fast downhill jeep track from the toposcope takes you onto the tarred pass.
- KEEP LEFT! RACE MARSHALLS at the intersection are there for your safety.
- Motorists are warned to slow down and stop BUT the road remains open to traffic. You are responsible for your own safety.
DESCENDING WOEST HILL
- DO NOT CUT CORNERS
- DO NOT CROSS THE CENTRE LINE
- Marshalls and motorists have previously reported cyclists cutting corners. This is very dangerous. You will not see any vehicles coming up the pass until it is too late. They cannot see you either.
- Residents have been asked to avoid using the road during the race, but this is the only access they have and the road cannot be closed.
- Beware SHARP BENDS and BLIND CORNERS, so KEEP LEFT of the line, even when overtaking. Anyone not doing so will be DISQUALIFIED.
- Slower riders please KEEP AS FAR LEFT AS POSSIBLE – leave space for faster riders to pass without crossing the centre line, especially in the bends.
Course conditions are generally very good but do beware of the following:
- You are riding on open, public roads. Keep left at all times and beware of oncoming traffic.
- The downhill section between the Toposcope (end of Mountain Drive overlooking Grahamstown) to the start of Woest Hill (Southwell Road to Port Alfred) has some deep ruts in places. There is plenty of loose rock this year. Beware of riders stopping suddenly, swerving or switching lines. The EXTREME DANGER (three black arrows) signs here will warn you as you approach this section.
- Woest Hill is fast and if damp can be slippery. The switchbacks are tight and fast with some patches of loose gravel on the road margins. This is Grahamstown so there will be potholes. Enjoy this long downhill but do NOT cross the centre line here as any oncoming traffic cannot see you until the last moment. Marshalls and signs along the route will alert motorists to be cautious but please be sure to take responsibility for your own safety.
- Look out for game along the Southwell Road: there are rhino around Buffalo Kloof (vicinity of the second water point) and lots of buck. Beware: warthog (goats and cyclists) crossing!
- There is loose gravel in many corners.
- Just before Southwell, there is a cattle grid that is closed – keep right and use the open gate instead.
- Nearing Port Alfred, there are sections where there are some ruts.
- The turn onto the single track outside Port Alfred (at +-54km) is sharp! Slow down and follow the marshalls’ directions here.
- When finishing, please move well off the finish line to collect your goody bag and race medal.
- Grocotts Mail Water Point 1 – 18km
- BUCO Water Point 2 – 34km
- BUCO Finish – 58km
- Water, powerade, coke, and bananas will be available
- Emergency contact number is : 046 603 2381 and is printed on the front of your number board.
- Please put it on your cell phone as well.
- In case of emergencies, take note of where you are on the route (ie near which water point, turn-off, distance etc).
- There will be two ambulances on course plus a number of first aiders, including at water points and the finish.
- Race cut-off is 1pm.. All riders still on the course will be required to return with the sweep vehicle. The BUCO sweep vehicle will follow behind the last riders collecting anyone unable to continue. Try to get to a water point if you can to wait.
- Do not stop directly on the finish line. There will be people behind you.
- Continue through to the area where goody bags are being handed out.
- Toilets are available in the Rosehill Shopping Mall and coffee shops will be open.
- Prize-giving is at 11am
- Prize categories include Race winners, 2nd and 3rd place, Junior (16-18), Sub-vets (30-39), Vets (40-49) and Masters (50-59) and Grand Masters (60+) – men and women.
- There are spot prizes from various sponsors that will be given out to riders crossing the finish line.
- Unfortunately there is no official return shuttle available.
- Final results will be available as soon as possible after the event on www.grahamstown2sea.co.za
- Provisional results will be streamed live from the finish and can be found on www.live.mountainevents.co.za
- For any queries, do not hesitate to contact us (before race day) on email@example.com